Qingyan Ancient Town Travel Guide – Guizhou, China
Qingyan Ancient Town (青岩古镇) is an ancient Chinese town known for its European influence, unity of four religions, not to mention beautiful stone fortress. Hundreds of years ago, it was an important trade and military hub.
It is located in Huaxi District of Guiyang, Guizhou, China. Eleven ethnic groups, including Han, Miao, Bouyei, Dong and Zhuang, live in the town.
The name, Qingyan, comes from an ancient book named New Records of Guizhou Illustrated Classics (贵州图经新志).
In early Ming dynasty (1368–1644), Qingyan was a military outpost. In the Tianqi period (1621–1627) of the Ming dynasty, Ban Lingui (班麟贵), a Bouyei tusi, founded a castle. In 1572, Qingyansi (青岩司) was set up.
In 1687, in the 26th year of Kangxi era (1662–1722) of the Qing dynasty (1644–1911), Qingyan came under the jurisdiction of Guizhu County (贵筑县).
In 1914, Qingyan was incorporated as a town. In 1931, Qingyan upgraded to a district. In 1941, Qingyan was under the jurisdiction of Yanlou District (燕楼区) of Guizhou County.
After the establishment of the Communist State in 1949, the Second District was set up in the town. In 1953, it was reverted to its former name of “Qingyan Town”. In 1958, it was changed to a People's Commune. In 1984, Qingyan was renamed “Qingyan Township” and two years later it was reverted to its former name of “Qingyan Town”. In 2016, it was listed as the first batch of “Small Towns with Chinese Characteristics” by the Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development. On February 25, 2017, it was rated as a National 5A Tourist Attraction.
Guiyang, the capital of Guizhou province, it has plenty to see and do, including visiting temples, churches, caves, museums, eating delicious food and climbing the steep city walls.