Bombo Headland Quarry – Bombo, NSW, Australia
Bombo Headland Quarry Geological Site is a heritage-listed former quarry and now geological site at Princes Highway, Bombo (suburb), Municipality of Kiama, New South Wales, Australia.
It is also known as Bombo Quarry. It was added to the New South Wales State Heritage Register on 2 April 1999.
Bombo is derived from “Thumbon”, the name of a renowned headman and warrior born in this district.
A popular photo op, the Bombo Quarry is accessible by a walking path.
It is the gateway between Kiama and its northern suburbs, Kiama Downs and Minnamurra. The Princes Highway runs through Bombo. In November 2005 a new six lane road opened replacing the original two lane road.
Bombo railway station opened in 1887 as the terminus of the Illawarra railway line. In 1893 the line was extended to Kiama. It is the closest railway station to the Pacific Ocean in New South Wales.
In the 1950s the New South Wales Government Railways established a ballast quarry. Boral operated an adjoining quarry from the 1970s until 2014.