Ye Family Garden View, Shanghai
Ye Family Garden (叶家花园) is located in Wujiaochang, Yangpu District, Shanghai. Wujiaochang (五角场) is an roundabout-centered area hence its name.
Ye Family Garden is located in today’s Shanghai First Pulmonary Hospital.
It was first built by Ye Chengzhi’s son, Ye Yiquan, in 1910, mainly for the pleasure of horse racing gamblers. It was later opened to the public and became a public playground in the 12th year of the Republic of China (1923). By the 22nd year of the Republic of China, the Ye family garden was transformed into the Chengzhi Lung Sanatorium.
In the 26th year of the Republic of China, when Shanghai fell in August, Ye’s Garden became the office of the invading Japanese army, where Neiji Gamura lived.
In the 34th year of the Republic of China, the war was won and the garden was recovered by the National Shanghai Medical College.
In 1954, it was changed into a sanatorium, and in 1959, it was changed into Shanghai No. 1 Tuberculosis Control Hospital, which is now Shanghai No. 1 Pulmonary Hospital.
The garden we see today is still an integral part of the hospital.