Sichuan Middle Road is in Huangpu District, Shanghai. From North Sichuan Road in the north to Sichuan South Road in the south.
Before the construction of Sichuan Middle Road, there was a small stream that flowed into the Suzhou River. There was a small bridge running north-south at the intersection of present-day Sichuan Middle Road and Beijing East. In 1855, after the Ministry of Public Works built the small road, it was renamed Jiang Su Road.
On December 13, 1865, the Public Works Committee of the Bureau of Public Works submitted a report to the Board of Directors of the Bureau of Public Works, requesting that the confusing names of the roads be changed. This included changing the name of Jiang Su Road to Sichuan Road because the road adjacent to the west side of Jiang Su Road was Jiangxi Road and the similar road names would cause confusion. The board subsequently agreed to this proposal.
In the early days of the road construction, the northern section of the road along the Suzhou River was mostly a Chinese settlement, while the other sections were mostly occupied by various foreign companies including Po Shun.
From the late 19th century, the Bureau of Public Works located the correspondence office on the road. In the 20th century, department stores, government agencies, and religious establishments were located on Sichuan Road. From the 1930s to the 1940s, Sichuan Road became one of the most popular roads for financial institutions, including the Central Trust Bureau and the Central Cooperative Bank.
After the 1950s, Sichuan Road became a concentration of government agencies and state-owned enterprises. At present, there are many high-rise buildings on both sides of the road, and most of them are outstanding historical buildings in Shanghai.
Huangpu District, Shanghai
Video Source:【4K. Shanghai】Sichuan Middle Road四川中路 from 走遍上海\Travel around Shanghai on Youtube ⁄ CC BY