Walk in Shanghai – Jing'an Buddhist Temple
Jing'an Temple (静安寺) is a Buddhist temple on the West Nanjing Road in Shanghai. Jing'an District, where it is located, is named after the temple.
The temple was first built in 247 AD in the Wu Kingdom during the Three Kingdoms period of ancient China. Originally located beside the Suzhou Creek, it was relocated to its current site in 1216 during the Song Dynasty.
The current temple was rebuilt in the Qing Dynasty, but during the Cultural Revolution, the temple was razed and turned into a plastic factory.
In 1983, it was returned to its original purpose and rebuilt with the Jing'An Pagoda completed in 2010.
Jing'an District, Shanghai