Walk in Coburg, Germany
Coburg is a town located on the Itz river in the Upper Franconia region of Bavaria, Germany. Long part of one of the Thuringian states of the Wettin line, it joined Bavaria by popular vote only in 1920.
Until the revolution of 1918, it was one of the capitals of the Duchy of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha and the Duchy of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld. Through successful dynastic policies, the ruling princely family married into several of the royal families of Europe, most notably in the person of Prince Albert, who married Queen Victoria in 1840.
As a result of these close links with the royal houses of Europe in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Coburg was frequently visited by the crowned heads of Europe and their families.
Coburg is also the location of Veste Coburg, one of Germany’s largest castles. In 1530, Martin Luther lived there for six months while translating the Bible into German (the Luther Bible).
Since it was little damaged in World War II, Coburg retains many historic buildings, making it a popular tourist destination.
We start our tour of Coburg at the market square. This main square is ringed half-timbered buildings. The Town Hall stands out as well as a statue of Prince Albert. The statue was a gift to Coburg from Queen Victoria.
From the town square we visit the Morizkirche. This Protestant church is dedicated to Saint Maurice in Coburg and is the town’s oldest church, dating back to the 14th century.
We get to the Ehrenburg Palace (Schloss Ehrenrburg) which served as the main Coburg residence for the ruling princes from the 1540s until 1918.
We get on another round through the town center on this sunny day. Soon we return to the upper Hofgarten for a view of the Ehrenburg Palace and Landestheater Coburg to end this Coburg walking tour.