The Old City of Shanghai, also formerly known as the Chinese city, is the traditional urban core of Shanghai. Its boundary was formerly defined by a defensive wall.
With the advent of foreign concessions in Shanghai, the Old City became just one part of Shanghai's urban core, but continued for decades to be the seat of the Chinese authority in Shanghai.
Notable features include the City God Temple which is located in the center of the Old City and is connected to the Yuyuan Garden. With the exception of two short sections, the walls were demolished in 1912, and a broad circular avenue built over the former wall and moat: the southern half was named the “Zhonghua Road” and the northern half the “Huamin Guo Road”. The northern half was renamed “Renmin Road” (“People's Road”) in 1950 by the new Communist government of Shanghai.
Huangpu District, Shanghai