Suzhou River, also known as Suzhou Creek (or Soochow Creek) and Wusong River, is a river that passes through the Shanghai city center. It is named after the neighbouring city of Suzhou, Jiangsu Province, the predominant settlement in this area prior to the rise of Shanghai as a metropolis.
While walking on the north bank of the Suzhou River, the south bank is in the stage of long-distance maintenance and reconstruction, and the basic reconstruction of the north bank has been completed, which has become a good place for citizens to relax.
The name of the Suzhou River began after Shanghai opened its port in the mid-19th century. Adventurous foreign immigrants took a boat from Shanghai to Wusong River and reached Suzhou directly. It was called the “Suzhou River”. By 1848, when Shanghai Daotai Lingui signed an agreement with the British consulate in Shanghai to expand the British concession, he officially wrote Wu Songjiang as “Suzhou River” for the first time. Since then, the name “Suzhou River” has gradually become popular.