Walk in Kaiserslautern, Germany
Kaiserslautern is a city in southwest Germany, located in the state of Rhineland-Palatinate at the edge of the Palatinate Forest.
It is 459 kilometres (285 miles) from Paris, 117 km (73 miles) from Frankfurt am Main, 666 kilometers (414 miles) from Berlin, and 159 km (99 miles) from Luxembourg.
The historic centre dates to the 9th century.
Prehistoric settlement in the area of what is now Kaiserslautern has been traced to at least 800 BC. Some 2,500-year-old Celtic tombs were uncovered at Miesau, a town about 29 kilometres (18 miles) west of Kaiserslautern. The recovered relics are now in the Museum for Palatinate History at Speyer.
Kaiserslautern received its name from the favourite hunting retreat of Holy Roman Emperor Frederick Barbarossa who ruled the Holy Roman Empire from 1155 until 1190. The small river Lauter made the old section of Kaiserslautern an island in medieval times.
Ruins of Frederick’s original castle, built 1152–1160, can still be seen in front of the Rathaus (city hall). A second castle, Nanstein Castle, was built at Landstuhl to guard the western approach to the city.
Barbarossa’s influence on Kaiserslautern remains today, both in its nickname as a “Barbarossa city” and the open-mouthed pike on the city’s coat of arms, reportedly his favorite dish.
We start our tour on this cloudy day at the Kaiserpfalz (Barbarossaburg). This former palace was a temporary seat for the roman emperor from the early and high middle ages. Nowadays a few red stones remain giving a small impression of the former glory.
On this walk we see the city centre with common shopping streets and a few churches. We walk to the Kaiserbrunnen on the eastern edge of the city center and head outwards to the Museum Pfalzgalerie.
The final part of this walk happens inside the Japanese Garden, where we take our time to check out this relaxing place.